Hot Fly For Opening Day
When fishing lakes, ponds, slow moving backwaters and other placid water fishing you cannot go wrong with a leech pattern. Leeches are one of the reasons that pond fish have the potential to grow larger than their cousins in the river. For a hungry trout, a single leech packs some serious protein. The pattern I am about to tie was taught to me at the Sparse Grey Matter – Fly Tying Fest. It will work great on opening day, fresh stocked Brook Trout love the color red. A few weeks later when the Rainbow are stocked, they will lust after the same fly. Fish the Mohair Leech similar to a Wooly Bugger.
- Mustad Size 12 STD Dry
- Cyclops Beads 7/64” Brown Olive
- Lead Wire .015
- Uni Thread 8/0 Red
- ¼ OZ. Dyed Red Marabou
- Krystal Flash Pearl Red
- Mohair Yarn Roe Red
- Rabbit Dubbing Red
- Take the hook and place the Cyclops Bead on the point, smaller opening will face the eye of the hook. Push the bead along the shank, forward to the eye. Secure the hook and bead into the vice.
- Using the lead wire, wrap ten turns on the shank of the hook. Cut off excess wire and push coil forward along the shank until snug inside the larger opening in the bead.
- Start the Red thread behind the lead coil on the shank. Create mound to hold lead coil snugly in place. Now wrap the thread over the lead coil to bead, then wrap back along the shank until you stop directly above the barb.
- Select a nice piece of Marabou, there should be a thick tail area, lacking stem. Using your thumb and forefinger starting at the stem, smooth the feather back to the end. Repeat this action a few times until the feather is all aligned in the same direction. Using thumb and forefinger pinch a section 2/3 of the shank length. Tie in at the pinch with four wraps. Remember to start holding the pinch in front of the shank and use the force of the thread to align the Marabou to the top of the shank.
- Now hold the Marabou up and slightly out of your way. Wrap the thread forward along the shank to the beginning of the lead coil. Do not attempt to build up body, this is unnecessary and will be completed in the future with Mohair Yarn. Cut off excess feather and return thread to tail at tie in position.
- Select two pieces of Crystal Flash Pearl Red. Tie in at the 2/3 length on the front side with two wraps of thread.
- Now loop the remaining Flash material out towards the eye back along the far side of the shank. Tie in with two additional wraps. Cut the four pieces even with the tail.
- Cut off six inches of Mohair Yarn, tie in with four wraps on the top of the shank where you tied all other pieces in. Wrap thread forward to the bead.
- Now wrap the Mohair Yarn forward up the shank in the same direction as the thread. Continue to the bead head and then tie in, cut off excess.
- Select a pinch of Red Rabbit Dubbing, Dub onto thread, creating enough for about three turns of dubbing behind the bead. Dub the three turns, this creates a nice presentation and hides the thread wrapping.
- Whip finish and it is complete.Purchase One Here